Welcome to the latest edition of Dell’s Weekly Recap, your guide to the week's Dell-related news and happenings.
TOP STORY OF THE WEEK
Visual effects studio Pixomondo has deployed Dell processing platforms to help produce the latest series of “Game of Thrones” and parts of the new “Star Trek Into Darkness" film.
DELL CUSTOMER SPOTLIGHT
With technology evolving as rapidly as it has over the past decade, it seemed inevitable that tablets would eventually make their way into the classroom. Recently, several school districts decided to take the plunge and institute a 1-to-1 distribution of tablets. You might be thinking education’s old buddy, Apple , came out ahead, but you’d be wrong. This year, Dell ‘s Latitude 10 tablet, which runs on Windows 8, was the clear winner.
5 STORIES ABOUT DELL
Dell's strategy for 'future proofing' your cloud – July 8, 2013
All of the major IT infrastructure companies dramatically expanded their services capabilities over the past decade to tighten their grip on their customers, so it stands to reason that they would follow the rest of the consulting and value-added services channel into the cloud. You might likewise expect that their cloud expertise be mostly centered on assisting with migrations related to their own technology. Thus is the case with the Dell cloud services team…
Why Hadoop projects fail — and how to make yours a success – June 24, 2013
Without doubt, “big data” is the hottest topic in enterprise IT since cloud computing came to prominence five years ago. And the most concrete technology behind the big data trend is Hadoop. Most enterprises are at least experimenting with Hadoop, and the potential for transformative business improvement is real. But just as real is the chance of what I call a “Hadoop hangover” if the project fails to meet expectations and instead results in costly failure.
Dell commits to waste-free packaging by 2020 – July 2, 2013
In June, Dell announced ambitious new sustainable packaging initiatives, including goals for a waste-free packaging stream by 2020 and a new wheat straw material that turns agricultural waste into boxes.
Invincea hopes to add millions of customers with Dell deal – June 30, 2013
Invincea, a cybersecurity company that started out at George Mason University, has grown plenty in recent years, more than tripling its head count during the past three years… Last week, it announced a partnership with Dell that will see its software come pre-installed on the technology giant’s computers, primarily targeted at commercial businesses and public-sector organizations.
Dell Digital Showcase Shows Longhorn Pride – May 22, 2013
On May 16, 2013 our Little Longhorns showed off many of their projects that were completed this year thanks to the Powering the Possible grant from Dell. Employees from Dell, teachers, students, parents, and community members were there to see what the students accomplished and learn about their process of creating these outstanding projects.
TOP 5 Direct2Dell POSTS (July 6 – July 12)
- XPS 12 Convertible Laptop – Now Faster with Longer Battery Life
- Dell Wyse WSM Starter Kit is Now Available
- Dell Converged Infrastructure Solutions Front and Center at WPC
- Dell Software named Office/SharePoint App Developer Partner of the Year
- The next step for IT administrators: Enable dynamic server identity
Press Release(s) (July 6 – July 12)
- Dell PowerEdge C Series Servers for Cloud Data Centre Help Reduce Costs and Improve Performance for Carbon60 Networks
- University Of Aberdeen Speeds Up Future Research with Dell
- Glass Lewis and Egan-Jones Join ISS in Recommending Dell Shareholders Vote “FOR” Proposed Sale Transaction at $13.65 per Share in Cash
- Leading Proxy Advisory Firm ISS Recommends Dell Shareholders Vote “FOR” Proposed Sale Transaction at $13.65 per Share in Cash
- Dell Leads Gartner’s Healthcare Information Technology Services Provider Rankings
- Dell Adds Powerful Server Provisioning to Its Desktop and Application Virtualization Software to Simplify IT Configuration and Optimize Resources
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University Evolves to Zero Client Environment Improving Efficiency and Enabling Cost Savings
- Special Committee Cautions Dell Stockholders Regarding Carl Icahn’s Misleading Statements About Appraisal Rights