The South by Southwest (SXSW) Conferences & Festivals bring people from around the world to Dell’s hometown of Austin. Last year, 33,825 people from 85 countries attended SXSW Interactive. And for those who couldn’t attend SXSW Music, Dell brought them to town virtually with the first-ever concert streamed live in 4K.
And while the 2016 events are still six months away, community voting on the proposed panels for them opened this week via their Panel Picker. It’s your opportunity to help determine the programming for this unique convergence of original music, independent films, and emerging technologies.
“From gender equality to the role of art, trans-humanism, and privacy issues, SXSW each and every year brings together (a few of) the best minds in the world to further our industry,” said Havas Senior VP of Strategy and Innovation Tom Goodwin after last year’s event.
So what role does the SXSW Panel Picker play in bringing those minds together? Well, SXSW has an Advisory Board that judges proposals and gives a score that counts for 40 percent of an overall composite score. Public voting on panel proposals accounts for 30 percent. SXSW staff voting counts for the final 30 percent.
Having three separate inputs for this composite score is meant to keep the Panel Picker selection process from becoming an online popularity contest. But, that doesn’t stop everyone from campaigning for their submissions. Even the NBA’s Sacramento Kings are getting in on it!
So here are the proposed panels that include Dell team members. Topics range from healthcare to social media, security to sustainability, and entrepreneurship to government:
- Age no bar
- Dragging Healthcare Clicking & Screaming 2B Social (SXSWedu)
- Hackers, Inc.
- Has corporate social media jumped the snark? [sic]
- Hey FB… I’ve got Cancer: Social Data & Outcomes
- How IoT and Analytics are Transforming Healthcare
- How Technology is Encouraging Sustainable Business
- How To Disrupt A Regulated Industry
- How to Disrupt Government
- How to Measure the Value of Thought Leadership
- IoT Wireless Wars — Can't We All Just Get Along?
- Is the Venture World a Meritocracy?
- Supporting US Entrepreneurs: America Job 1
- The War on Cancer: An Update From the Front Line
The breadth of the topics speaks to the end-to-end view of technology solutions Dell team members have. And we love to share what we've learned! Let SXSW know you're interested in hearing from us by giving these panels the thumbs up. Voting closes Friday, Sept. 4 at 9:59 p.m. PDT.
And if you’re still considering whether or not to attend, AlleyWatch recently compiled a list of the things they still think were awesome about SXSW 2015.