In May 2018, Dell introduced Dell Wyse ThinLinux 2, centered around the idea of a secure computing environment with a simple user interface and an open OS architecture that allows effortless integration with third-party applications, without any modifications. Also, it is a 64-bit OS with the flexibility and security of Ubuntu Linux, and applications that provide outstanding benefits to customers across industries.
Since May 2018, we’ve made steady improvements to provide better features, performance, reliability, and security. Today, we’re excited to announce ThinLinux version 2.2, which brings several notable updates for our customers.
- Wyse 5070 Extended thin client with discrete graphics is now available with ThinLinux 2.2 supporting up to six high-resolution monitors.
- “Domain Join” allows inventory management via domain.
- “Preserve Device Configuration Settings” feature allows administrators to opt to save client settings during image upgrades.
- Tighter integration with Wyse Management Suite allows for easy upgrades and manageability.
Protecting the customer:
Thin clients provide enhanced security by ensuring that no data is saved to individual machines. Everything lives in the cloud, which means users can log-on from any machine and have on-demand access to the applications and data they need. If an individual machine is stolen, secure data can’t be accessed. With near zero attack surface, thin clients can simplify IT’s job, strengthen security and deliver a solution that’s resistant to virus attacks. The ThinLinux 2.2 operating system provides a mature thin client experience by adding active-directory integration and preserving device configuration settings for OS upgrades.
ThinLinux 2.2 also makes things simpler for our customers through automated management with Wyse Management Suite. Organizations can easily add thin clients onto the appropriate network, and upgrade and configure units as needed in a matter of minutes. Here are just a few examples of how some of our customer industries can benefit:
Point of Sale applications in retail environments run well on Linux. ThinLinux 2.2 is unique in that it allows most third-party applications developed on Ubuntu 16.04 to run on its platform. This means more compatibility and flexibility for retail applications which tend to be unique for every retailer. In addition, retailers will enjoy:
- A broad range of peripheral support including Bluetooth 5.0
- OEM branding for customer-facing terminals
- No downtime and quick client updates using add-ons
- “Browser in kiosk” mode allows a secure way to access web-based applications
In a healthcare setting, providers that previously had to carry a separate device from room to room can install thin clients in every room, to easily visit a multitude of patients and have access to the latest patient data at the tip of their fingers. Healthcare staff won’t have to worry about carrying or misplacing a device and IT doesn’t have to be concerned that a portable device will be stolen. ThinLinux 2.2 makes the thin client user experience even more powerful with a single-sign-on function as well as Citrix Netscaler to extend access to patient records to remote clinics.
- “Session Roaming” allows desktops to be moved seamlessly between devices
- Allows for your client’s data to be retained in the data center and not stored in the local device
Government and Financial
Security is a major concern of both of our financial and government customers. ThinLinux 2.2 ensures that data is not being cached to the client but saved to the cloud for greater data protection. Other benefits for these sectors include:
- Support for multiple high-resolution monitors
- Broker authentication using smart cards
- USB manager to prevent unauthorized device access
- Redundancy through dual NIC teaming, a Federal requirement
- x authentication for additional security
Home Grown Applications
ThinLinux 2.2 features support extends beyond traditional VDI use cases as well. IT-developed applications can be easily deployed on ThinLinux 2.2, and the platform can be used for development tuned to the customer’s unique needs. To support non-traditional use cases, the platform also supports a comprehensive Terminal Emulation suite.
ThinLinux 2.2 is the Linux OS that is easier to deploy, configure and manage, and delivers an incredibly secure and streamlined user experience while lowering TCO and improving productivity. To find out more about the technical details and ordering, visit: www.dellEMC.com/Wyse