Update (January 15, 2011): To centralize the conversation, I’m closing the comment threads on earlier Dell Streak blog posts. If you would like to comment or ask questions regarding #dellstreak, please see the latest Dell Streak blog post.
I know many of you have been waiting for official pricing and carrier information on Dell Streak, so I’ll just cut to the chase.
- AT&T will be the carrier for customers in the United States.
- Pricing: $299.99 with new two-year AT&T contract, and $549.99 without.
- Customers who register for the pre-sale will be able to order a Dell Streak this Thursday August 12.
- Dell Streak will go on sale to the general public beginning this Friday.
Update: As of today, Dell Streak is available to purchase for US customers. There’s several different ways to publish. You can configure online by going to Dell.com/mobile. You can also call 800-308-3355 to buy the Streak. Chat is also an option 24/7: from the Dell Streak product page, choose the Chat Now link, then Electronics and Accessories Sales Experts.
Those who have registered (or will register) for the pre-sale will be getting an email Thursday morning, this week from Dell that will allow you to place an order for a Carbon Black version before it goes on sale to the general public. If you still haven’t registered, you still have some time to do it, but you’ll need to hurry. See my earlier post on how the pre-sale process works for more detail.
Update: In the #dellstreak tweetstream and elsewhere, many of you are asking about whether the $549 version will be unlocked. To be clear, the answer is no. Here are my two tweets on the topic that summarize where we are at this point:
In my last Streak update post, I clarified a few things. One thing to reiterate is that we will ship Streak to customers in the US with Android 1.6. We will offer an over-the-air upgrade to Android 2.2 later this year. Here’s the Dell Streak product page. Click on the Tech Specs tab on that page to see those.
And here’s a quick video overview of what Streak can do:
Like I mentioned before, when you place your order from the order link that will be in the email you receive this Thursday (if you register for the pre-sale), you will be able to order Streak accessories from the configurator. These include things like a spare battery , travel AC adapters, the Streak premium wallet case and more. Here’s a bit of background on a couple of the other cool Dell Streak accessories you’ll be able to order through Dell.com:
- The Car Dock Kit (see picture below): This kit allows you to use the slick turn-by-turn Google Navigation features hands free. It includes a dock that can be mounted on the dashboard console or on the windshield, plus an AC adapter that plugs in to your cigarette lighter so your Streak will be ready to go once you arrive at your destination. It will be $39.99.
- The Home Audio/ Video Dock: This dock allows you to connect the Streak to your audio receiver or HDTV. The kit includes the dock and an a USB charging cable with adapter and a synch cable so you can charge your Dell Streak while synching content with your PC or playing back music and video from the Streak to your A/V equipment in your living room or elsewhere. It will be $69.99. An HDMI cable is available for an additional cost.
We appreciate all the interest from customers. If you’ve already pre-registered for a Dell Streak, expect an email from Dell soon. To keep up on the latest Dell Streak news, check out the #dellstreak hashtag on Twitter.